The most important appliance that every kitchen need is a microwave oven. A useful appliance for reheating food quickly and conveniently. But along with lots of advantages of microwave ovens, there are some downs and problems in it. In this article, we will deal with different common problems along with solutions that you can face with time. So let’s dive into the detail.
Not heating food
One of the common microwave oven problems is not heating food properly. Scientifically, the microwave oven produces electromagnetic waves that penetrate food and result in cooking. However, if your microwave does not heat food properly, the reason behind this problem is Magnetron, capacitor, or diode. They are responsible parts for the generation of microwaves inside the oven. If any of these parts fail, the microwave will not be able to heat up food. So, it is good to deal with this problem on time to prevent further damage.
If your microwave does not heat food properly then look for the following things to fix.
- Check the oven door and fully close it, because it may be one of the reasons.
- If the oven is properly connected to a power source and the door is also properly closed, then the reason is faulty components that are responsible for generating heat. These components include a magnetron, capacitor, or diode. Call a professional to replace these parts.
Sparking or arcing inside the microwave
Another common error in a microwave oven is sparking inside. It’s a dangerous error problem that has the potential to start a fire as well. This problem is due to the metal inside, so avoid using metals or utensils. If there is no metal inside the microwave then the issue is within the waveguide cover or stirrer, which is responsible for distributing the microwave evenly.
If you notice this problem fix them by doing the following steps:
- When you notice sparks inside the oven, immediately turn it off and unplug it from the power source and check whether there is any metal inside it or not.
- If there is no metal inside the microwave you should replace the waveguide cover or stirrer in your oven. If you are not a professional do not perform any experiment with your oven.
- The most important Use oven-safe cookware.
The microwave turntable not turning
The turntable in a microwave oven is a glass tray that helps to evenly distribute the microwaves, ensuring perfect and uniform cooking and reheating. You can also face problems with your microwave oven turntable with time ie: it can stop turning. This a frustrating problem and a solution is necessary for the perfect taste.
If your microwave turntable is not turning look for the following two points:
- Make sure there is no issue with drive brushing and the turntable is properly aligned to the drive brushing.
- If the first case is not the reason, then the second reason is a faulty motor or motor coupling. It is better to replace these components inside the microwave or replace it.
- Make sure to fix this problem because this issue can potentially damage your oven.
Strange noises coming from the microwave
A microwave oven is a quiet appliance, and strange noises from the oven are a problem, but in fact a serious problem. There are a variety of noises that can be created in a faulty microwave oven such as humming, buzzing, rattling, and even popping sounds. This problem is due to faulty components such as the turntable, motor, or fan. So, be careful and fix this to avoid further damage.
The strange noises in the microwave oven could be from various sources like the turntable, or fan. So the first step is to identify the source.
- If the noise is coming from the turntable, it could be due to an issue with the turntable motor or roller guide. In this case, it is better to repair or replace the motor or roller guide.
- If the noise is coming from the fan, it could be due to debris or other obstructions interfering with the fan’s movement. You can try cleaning the fan with a soft brush or cloth, but if the issue persists, It is better to call a professional.
Display panel not working
The display panel is the most crucial component in a microwave oven, providing valuable information about cooking time and power. For me without a display microwave is impossible to operate. So it is a serious problem and its solution is necessary for safety purposes as well. This problem arises due to many reasons like faulty control boards, loose connections, or a blown fuse. So the first step is to identify the main reason.
As we already mentioned the reason, Some of the possible solutions to the problem are given below:
- Check the power source, whether it is a plugin or not, and whether the circuit breaker is not tripped.
- Then try to reset the oven by unplugging it for a few minutes and then plugging it back. If the issue still persists then the third one is the reason.
- The third reason is faulty components like a control board, blown fuse, or loose connection. Identify the component, and repair or replace it.
The microwave shuts off after a few seconds
Another common error faced by many users is Shutting off the oven after a few seconds.
Microwave ovens are a convenient and time-saving appliance in any kitchen, but they can experience problems like any other electronic device. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including a faulty door switch, a defective thermal cut-out, or a malfunctioning control board.
Now its time to solve this problem, The following are the solutions
- The first step to deal with this issue is to check the door switch. A faulty door switch can cause the microwave to shut off as a safety measure. Make sure the door is properly closed and the switch is functioning properly.
- The second reason is the defective thermal cut-out. The thermal cut-out is a safety component that shuts off the microwave if it overheats. Check if the thermal cut-out needs to be reset or replaced.
- If the control board is malfunctioning, it can cause the microwave to shut off prematurely. Try resetting the control board by unplugging the microwave for a few minutes and plugging it back in. If the issue persists, then it needs to repair the control board. done
The door not closing properly
Another common problem with every microwave oven is the door not closing properly.
A problem with the door not closing properly can prevent the microwave from functioning correctly. To get proper benefit from microwaves it is necessary to tackle this problem. This issue can be caused by a variety of factors, including a faulty door latch, misaligned door hinges, or debris obstructing the door.
Look for the following solution if the door of your microwave oven is not closed properly:
- It’s a dangerous problem if your microwave oven door is not closed properly. The first step to deal with this issue is to check the door latch. A faulty door latch can cause the microwave to not operate or to operate incorrectly. Check to see if the latch is clean and not obstructed by debris.
- The second reason for this problem is misaligned door hinges. Try adjusting the hinges to ensure they are properly aligned and lubricated. done
The microwave runs but doesn’t heat food evenly
Most users also report this problem as well, that the microwave doesn’t heat food evenly, but it operates properly. However, if the microwave runs but doesn’t heat food evenly, it can be frustrating and lead to undercooked or overcooked meals. This issue can be caused by a variety of factors, including a faulty magnetron, malfunctioning waveguide cover, or issues with the turntable.
If you face this problem use the following method to tackle this problem
- If your microwave runs but doesn’t heat food evenly, it’s likely that there is a problem with the microwave’s heating components. One of the most common causes of this issue is a faulty magnetron, which is the component responsible for producing microwave energy. So, replace or repair the magnetron if the magnetron is responsible for the issue.
- Another potential cause is a malfunctioning waveguide cover, which directs the microwave energy into the oven cavity. Check the waveguide cover for any signs of damage or wear and tear, and replace if necessary.
- The third reason for the problem is a faulty turntable, which can cause uneven heating. Make sure the turntable is clean and properly aligned.
- If these three are not the cases for uneven heating then it is best to seek professional. done
Fuses blowing frequently
If you have a microwave oven and find that the fuses blow frequently, it can be a frustrating and potentially dangerous problem. Fuses are designed to protect the microwave from power surges and electrical damage, but if they are blowing frequently, it’s a sign that there may be an underlying issue with the appliance. This issue is due to Faulty door switches, high voltage diodes, and capacitors and magnetron can also blow fuses.
The following is the solution to the problem:
- To tackle this problem, start by checking the door switches to ensure they are functioning correctly. If they are not, replace them immediately.
- You can also check the diode, capacitor, and magnetron for any signs of damage or wear and tear. If these components are faulty, replace them with new ones.
Burning smell coming from the microwave
If you’ve ever smelled a burning odor coming from your microwave oven, you know how concerning it can be. A burning smell can indicate that something is wrong with your microwave and may require immediate attention to prevent further damage or even a fire hazard. The reason is stocking food particles or debris in the interior and it burning during use. Another reason is high voltage diode, capacitor, or magnetron which can cause electrical arcing and a burning smell.
The following is the solution to the problem:
- If you’re experiencing a burning smell coming from your microwave oven then. First, it could be that food particles or debris have become stuck to the interior of the microwave and are burning during use. In this case, it’s important to clean the interior of the microwave thoroughly with a mild detergent solution and a damp cloth. You should also check the turntable and ensure it is clean and rotating properly.
- Another possible cause of a burning smell is a malfunctioning high-voltage diode, capacitor, or magnetron, which can cause electrical arcing and burning odors. if you suspect that the reason is these components it is best to repair or replace these components.
- For safety and better use of the oven, do not use cookware that is not oven safe
- When you experience a burning smell it is better to unplug the oven immediately to avoid further damage.
In the common microwave oven problems and solution guide, we tried to explain all the common problems along with one-liner effective solutions. We did research and met with professionals to understand all the common problems and effective solutions. If you are not an expert it is better to seek a professional to repair your microwave oven. This article will inform you about the cause and solution to this issue.
By following the tips and solutions outlined in this post, you can keep your microwave oven running smoothly and safely for years. Remember always to prioritize safety and unplug the appliance if you suspect any issues that could pose a risk.